Dream to publish book was 30 years in the making

By Rich Schneider, IU Communications Specialist and Rob Schneider, external affairs coordinator, IU School of Social Work:

Her first book took 30 years, but Katrina Patterson already has a second book in mind.

Patterson is the Bachelor of Social Work student services secretary and recorder in the Indiana University School of Social Work administrative offices at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, where she has worked for more than 20 years.

Her first book, “Ralph’s Journey to Babyland: A place for the night,” was published this year and is available on Amazon. The book tells the story of Ralph, a 10-year-old boy who is playing with his dog Sonic and loses track of time. Before he knows it, Ralph is lost and then walks through a cloud. What happens next is Ralph’s amazing discovery of a world of babies and the casual, free, candy-filled lives they live.

She got the idea for the book in 1985, while she was in high school. Patterson had completed an English assignment by writing a children’s book. She kept it, knowing that one day she wanted to do something more with it.

Katrina Patterson

Katrina Patterson

Then life came along. Patterson got married and had a daughter and then had twins. She took the book out and read it to her children. She even talked to her brother-in-law about illustrating the book, but nothing came of it.

After a colleague at the School of Social Work came out with a children’s book last year about making right and wrong decisions, Patterson mentioned that she had written a book, too. “I explained I had it for years and wrote it when I was in high school. I kind of laughed it off.” Her friend, Carolyn Gentle-Genitty, asked to see it.

Gentle-Genitty made a few changes and suggested that Patterson illustrate the book herself. What’s more, as Gentle-Genitty had just completed publishing her book, she had the answer to Patterson’s most basic question: how to get it into print.

The book, which is available on Amazon, earned the following review: “Very well written and my grandson loves it.”

Patterson already has a second book in mind. It will be about one of her children and the struggles he has being a twin but the only one with attention deficit disorder.

When she recently asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up, Patterson thought he might say a zookeeper because he had mentioned that once before.

This time, though, he paused and thought about it before saying, “I think I’ll just be me.” His answer provided the title for her upcoming book.

Tags: , ,