IU sophomore seeks to change the world, one tumbler at a time

Post by IU newsroom intern Alex Kimbrell:

When Indiana University student Caroline Trant first heard about Let Girls Learn, a global initiative aimed at educating adolescent girls throughout the world, she knew she wanted to be involved.

IU Sophomore Caroline Trant creates and sells customized tumblers in an effort to raise money for Let Girls Learn.

Walking to class one day last fall, Trant looked down at the coffee tumbler in her hand and the idea hit her. She would create and design her own tumblers that she would then sell in an effort to raise money for Let Girls Learn.

The Kelley School of Business student set up a nonprofit business she called Tumbl{HERS} and went to work changing the world for thousands of girls throughout the world.

“The fact that some girls in Third World countries are not receiving an elementary education is something that needs to change,” Trant said. “When I heard about Let Girls Learn and their campaign to educate young girls around the world, I decided I had to be a part of it.”

Trant creates personalized tumblers by sketching out words and designs that are then scanned into a personal cutting machine called Cricut. This machine prints out customized vinyl decals that can then be sealed directly onto the tumblers.

She then sells those tumblers online. After covering operating costs, 75 percent of the profits Trant makes goes to Let Girls Learn. Two weeks after coming up with the idea to create the tumblers, Trant sold her first product and made her first donation to the initiative.

“Raising that first bit of money for Let Girls Learn was such a great feeling,” Trant said. “I could have been watching TV in that time, but instead I got to make some cool art, and I got to give somebody something that, not only [is] going to use every day, but [is] going to understand what it stands for.”

Trant is taking the education she is receiving at IU and using it to create education opportunities for other young women around the world. Selling tumblers and donating to Let Girls Learn is her way of using her own education to pay it forward.

Using the business strategies and approaches she is learning in her classes, Trant is able to put her knowledge to work and recognizes IU as being one of the biggest reasons Tumbl{HERS} is seeing success.

Trant's tumbler designs vary and even include customized artwork upon request.

Trant’s tumbler designs vary and even include customized artwork upon request.

“There’s this culture of fostering growth and unleashing potential that I think IU is great at marketing to future students and fulfilling for current students,” Trant said. “There’s so many resources available to you if you are a go-getter and you’re seeking out opportunities.”

One of those resources Trant has used for her advantage is IU’s Women in Business, an undergraduate organization that promotes the success of women in the Kelley School of Business. When Trant shared her idea for Tumbl{HERS} with them, she was instantly given support and encouraging words.

“They are definitely the most amazing girls I’ve met on this campus,” Trant said. “They continuously push me to be better. I really don’t know where I would be without them.”

Trant plans to continue making a difference with Tumbl{HERS} by growing her network at IU and beyond. She hopes to start collaborating with local businesses to sell her product and to eventually expand beyond tumblers.

For her, it’s all about doing her part to help other young girls reach their dreams.

“Education is such a gift,” Trant said. “I’m fortunate enough to receive an education and for education to be such an important part of my life. For other girls not to have that, and for me to combat that in any way I can means a lot to me.”

Trant’s Tumbl{HERS} are currently available on Etsy.

Tags: , , , , , ,

2 thoughts on “IU sophomore seeks to change the world, one tumbler at a time

1. Andy says:

That is so awesome, you rock CAROLINAROOOO!!!

2. Jamie says:

Awesome stuff!